Sunday, July 6, 2008

What a Happy 4th!


Though Emma was petrified of the fireworks display, and while Josh had to work the e.n.t.i.r.e. weekend, somehow we managed to have a fabulous weekend! My parents took a vacation up north last week, and joined us here in the cities on Thursday evening. Josh and I took the girls for a fun family lunch at Old Chicago on Thursday, which started the beautiful weather that we had this weekend. We then joined my entire family for a 4th of July cook-out at Tom & Tara's (my cousins) house in Mpls. On the 4th, my parents, the girls and I, met my aunt and uncle at The Freight House in Stillwater where we enjoyed a fantastic meal on their deck on the St. Criox River. After lunch, we walked along the river, and noticed that many families were beginning to reserve seats at the riverfront park for that evening's fireworks display. We decided to do the same! We laid out blankets and chairs, and while my uncle took a nap to reserve our spot, we ran home to throw together a picnic for the rest of the day. We returned to Stillwater around 4, and enjoyed the rest of the day planted at our spot along the beautiful St. Criox. Josh joined us when he got off, and he grilled us brats, hot dogs, corn on the cob, and s'mores! Around 10pm, we saw (well, all of us except Josh and Emma who had to hide out in the car due to fear!) one of the best fireworks displays that I have ever seen, put off to music right over our heads! It took quite some time to get home, which made me feel bad as Josh had to be to work in a few short hours, but it was well worth it. We have decided that Stillwater is our new 4th of July tradition! On Saturday, my parents, the girls and I met up with my aunt and uncle at the Farmer's Market in Minneapolis. We got yummy cinnamon rolls, beautiful bouqets of flowers, and fresh yummy produce. Later that afternoon, we all met Tom and Tara at the Tin Fish outdoor restuarant on Lake Calhoun, and then retreated back to their house to play games. We concluded our fun holiday weekend by sleeping in today and fixing a delicious breakfast, and then Josh headed off to work, and my parents headed back home to Milwaukee.
What a fun-filled weekend we had, thanks to my amazing family!

1 comment:

Katie R. said...

Sounds like lots of fun and lots of yummy food! My kind of weekend, for sure.