Monday, December 8, 2008

Humble Me.

Today I had an experience that tested every sense from within my body, from smells, to sights, to heart-breaking sensations, and an opportunity to utilize my healing touch. I worked all day at the Minneapolis Convention Center at the Project Homeless Connection. We serviced over 3,000 homeless people and their families with health care, a warm meal, hot Starbucks coffee, tools to get kids in schools, resources to find employment, new glasses, massages, warm coats, fillings in cavities, and chiropractic care, to name a few. I was one of 3 physicians that triaged and adjusted lines long of hurting people. I personally cared for over 50 individuals, and received homeless hugs, blessings, high-fives, and tears after a quick 5-minute hands-on experience. I had no clue there were this many homeless people in the U.S, much less the city of Minneapolis. How thankful I am to come home to a much-taken-for-granted warm home.....

I am a changed woman, and a much more empathetic doctor.

3 comments:

erin said...

Cara, that is so awesome! I am so glad you had the opportunity to do that!

Anonymous said...

Cara, I am so proud of you! It takes a special person to give so freely of the gifts God has blessed you with to reach out to these people who need care. We do need to count our blessings each and every day.

love Mom

Jodi said...

That must have been an amazing day! Thanks for the tip on the teething tablets.