Monday, March 16, 2009

Northwestern People--Employee Spotlights

Northwestern People (featured in Northwestern's weekly newspaper)

Employee Spotlight: Cara Borggren, DC, faculty clinician

How long have you worked for Northwestern?
I have worked for Northwestern for almost three years. I started working here right after I graduated.

What did you do before working at Northwestern?
Before working at Northwestern, I was a student here in the chiropractic college. This was my first "real" job – I was a non-stop student and waitress before that.

What does your job entail?
My job as a resident entails something different each day. It is technically divided into 3 parts – teaching, clinical practice, and independent research. I love the variety!

What do you enjoy most about your job?
I enjoy the variety, and I love mentoring students. I love being able to really help students and relate because I know what they are going through, being that I was just in their shoes.

If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would you choose?
If I could literally live anywhere, I would choose Hawaii. I love the warm climate, non-stop sunlight, and most of all, the fresh fruits! However, realistically, I would choose to live by our parents for a year, so that we could get some of the wholesome grandparent goodness for our kids. Raising our two young daughters without family here has been the hardest thing I have ever done.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?
My favorite outdoor activity is going to the drive-in movie theatre and tail-gating there. We go all summer long.

What are you looking forward to most in the next few months?
I am most looking forward to summer activities with my family. My husband recently started a new job, so he actually has normal hours now and weekends off, so our summer should be filled with fun trips, time on the lake, and everything great about Minnesota summers!

Do you prefer Cold Stone or Dairy Queen for ice cream?
Cold stone; I get chocolate ice cream, with some sort of chocolate candy mixed in, topped with some sort of chocolate fudge topping. I heart chocolate.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
Spare time – what's that?! I am insanely busy from the time I get up until I go to bed, with my job and my family. I try to prioritize time with friends, and I am always up for a shopping trip. I do make sure that I work out on a regular basis, or I loose my balance and ability to juggle!

If you were a sea creature, what kind of sea creature would you be?
I would definitely be an octopus. Wouldn't it be fantastic to have eight arms?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that you DO have family here! Family is not only your Father and Mother. Family is the people who CARE about you!

Cara said...

Anon,
Point well taken. I am surrounded by people who CARE about me. It's just easier to unload on Mom and Dad, they love unconditionally, and don't charge a thang!