Friday, August 22, 2008

Clogged Ducts

Warning: Graphic Content Follows.....

I am currently nursing (no pun intended) my 5th clogged duct THIS WEEK alone. Something is seriously wrong. We aren't talking a minor duct that is clogging. We are talking my boob going 24-48 hours without producing, engorgement city, tears, hot packs, massages, frustration, and did I mention pain? Anybody got any ideas? I am tired of trying to be my own doctor. I am sure that one is leading to another via scar tissue, but come on. Thankfully, none of them have turned into mastitis. Been there--done that--almost died. Please help. I know the logical solution is to quit nursing. I won't. Don't even suggest it. I insist on going a year.

This is seriously getting ri.dic.u.lous.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Cara, CALL A LACTATION CONSULTANT!! Here is their # at Woodwinds: 651/232-3147. Dottie was the one who helped me and she was fabulous. Ask for her. I am sure she would have some ideas or suggestions. Talking to her over the phone would be free, and maybe she can help. I'm really sorry about everything. That sounds frustrating and awful. Good job to you though for sticking it out and being so devoted to breastfeeding!

erin said...

Cara, STOP WEARING UNDERWIRES!!
Don't quit nursing. I know you are totally committed to it and I'm proud of you, too. You are giving your little one such a gift.
Other ideas: Sitting in a hot tub (or bath tub) and rub, rub, rubbing. Nursing instead of pumping. (Maybe you could try this all day tomorrow and see if it helps. I read to point the baby's chin at the affected area because that's what direction they suck. I suspect that Eva might be a little more effective than the pump...I dunno.) Also, maybe go without a bra altogether for 24 hours or so and see if that helps.
I will pray for you. I'm so sorry. It hurts SO bad, and our husbands just don't understand.

Jodi said...

You poor thing! That must be AWFUL! I agree with Naomi, the lactation consultant will have oodles of ideas. Erin has good ideas too. I'll keep you in my prayers too.