Monday, September 29, 2008

The End of a Treacherous Road?

Tomorrow marks the end of the road for my dad. However, it is not by choice. My dad has been an ordained Lutheran pastor since I was 4 years old. For the last 7 years, he has been the Chaplain for the South WI District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod at the House of Corrections near Milwaukee. He wears many hats at this calling, where he adopted many ex-offender programs, counseled those in jail for drug and alcohol abuse, preached to surrounding congregations about his special ministry, shared the Word of God to those giving time, and I could go on forever. However, the position has been eliminated. After many dedicated years of service accomplishing more than anyone could have ever dreamed, the district has decided to make his job "volunteer-only." While we often joked that our dad was "behind bars," this is a sad state of affairs that politics can come between a dedicated man of God and a church organization. He will continue to preach on the weekends, and will always pray for those lives that he touched, hoping they never return to their old ways.
Dad, while this may be a test of faith for you (and a bit scary for a 57-year-old), I can hardly wait to see where God leads you. While I hope it is within walking distance of my family, I know that God has an intricate plan for you. You truly walk by faith, and not by sight, and that is to be admired.
To my blogfriends, while my dad enjoys 6 months of full severance pay, I have taken it upon myself to find him a job. If any of you know of a Lutheran church (Missouri Synod) looking for a dedicated pastor, a prison/hospital/establishment in need of a chaplain, or a private university, Christian/Lutheran grade school or high school looking for a theology teacher/professor, please let me know! In the meantime, I think my dad is looking forward to some downtime for a few weeks, and most of all, being a Grandpa!

Come see us, Dad!

1 comment:

erin said...

When these things happen, it's always for God's glory. I can't wait to see what your dad will do next!