Friday, November 7, 2008

Opportunites.....

My time as a Chiropractic Resident is nearing an end. My contract ends in August. My, how fast three years can go..... While I have been told that there will be an offer for me when I conclude my residency to continue employment at NWHSU as a professor and practicing clinician, I am cognizant of the fact that the economy is struggling. However, I have been blessed with one final departing experience.

Beginning in October, I made a commitment with the Wolfe-Harris Center for Clinical Studies to be a research fellow for a pilot study with the Volunteers of America, delivering chiropractic services to 2 very different establishments in Edina and Eden Prairie. One is an assisted living facility, and the other is a facility that houses long-term care patients, memory care patients (dementia and Alzheimer's), and a transitional care unit, which is basically an off-shoot of a post-op hospital setting. I will be collaborating with another chiropractor, a massage therapist and 2 acupuncturists to offer innovative treatments to these populations, beginning in January. In the meantime, I have gotten to be a part of the developmental stages of designing this research project with our renowned research department. A study of this nature has never been completed in this capacity before, and I am blessed to be given this opportunity, especially at a time where experiences on my resume could make the difference for future employment opportunities....

4 comments:

Katie R. said...

Good for you! This sounds excititng.

Don, Emma Lou, Addie Woo, and Bean too! said...

I also wish you lived closer!!! I need more friends with kids! And Emma's are the best!!! :-) One of my few friends that does have a kid has an Emma. So we call each other's kids the other Emma. If we ever get back to MInnesota (the mall), we'll have to hook up! I'd LOVE to see you!!!

erin said...

Congratulations, Cara! I am so happy for you! I can't believe it's been 3 years already...WOW.

Cara said...

Yeah, Erin, it seems like yesterday that you were helping me with pros and cons to my different job options..... You definitely "pro-ed" me in the right direction! :) Now can you help me plan the rest of my life?!?