Saturday, September 15, 2007

How I Told.....Josh

Well, let me take you back to the end of June, when we decided to take a little family excursion. Since living in MN for 5 years, we haven't really explored God's country up here much past Duluth. Being "MN's Playground," we decided we should check out Brainerd. Josh took a 3-day weekend, and I had to work a few short hours on Friday before we left at noon. We made our way up there, and enjoyed out first night there. We meandered our way down to the pool, and because I tend to be a wax-producer of America, the pool water mixed with my over-production of wax made a pasty mess which clogged my ears. (This would later be one of those things that happened for a reason.) Let me note that adult beverages and hot tubs were enjoyed on this night--all first trimester no-no's.

The next morning, with my ears still clogged, I headed to the nearest Target to get some Swim-Ear. While I was there, I walked past the pregnancy test isle. I remember thinking, "Hmmm, should I get one?" Why would I do that? We weren't trying to get pregnant, we were trying not to get pregnant. For some strange reason, I picked one up. It is still a mystery to me of why I took a test. I had no reason to....

I got back to the hotel with my goods, and Josh and Emma were showering or something as we were getting ready to try out the Paul Bunyon Bike Trail that day. I proceeded to take a test while Josh looked at me puzzled, but I assured him I that I was just taking it because I had a strange feeling, but that there was no way I was pregnant. The next few moments would change my life. The test came back positive. I immediately was overwhelmed with a feeling that I will never be able to describe, and was speechless as I walked out of the bathroom and handed Josh the test. He just kept looking at it, and then me. The next few minutes were exclamated with pure denial, fear, anger, and shock. As Josh and I just stood there, I remember asking him to hug me. We stood there flabergasted for a few more moments, and then we were joined by Emma. I can't remember what was said exactly, but something like this: "Cara, everything happens for a reason. It will all work out." "But Josh, I can't be pregnant--I'm not ready to be pregnant again!" I was pretty numb the rest of the day as we rode our bikes for a long 20 miles, but knew that if Josh was on board, he was right--it WOULD all work out. I don't remember much of the rest of that day except that Josh assured me that I was surrounded by his support and love, that I tried to determine when I might possibly be due, that I realized that Emma would ONLY BE TWO when the baby was born, and that we had AWESOME ribs at Famous Dave's to conclude that peculiar day.....

No comments: